Thursday, August 16, 2012

FEELING THE HEART IN CHICAGO


Larry and Lori, c. 1978 with their Bubbie and Papa


The following blog was written by my sister a MSW,  Life Coach, and the co-writer of the weekly blogs for Heart 2 Hart Detroit. She writes........

I know I'm not the only one feeling inspired to do something for the homeless people we walk past on the street everyday since hearing about Heart 2 Hart Detroit. The Detroit Piston's unbelievable donation of a SUV full of t-shirts is one example of what an organization with a giant heart can do. But what about just one person, what can I do.

I moved to Chicago in 1989. Since Heart 2 Hart Detroit started, Larry and I have suddenly been talking daily, sharing exciting ideas and connections that have already come out of what he's doing with Ken. I have to say, going from talking to my brother once a week, to daily brainstorming calls about something that we can share and both feel passionate about is wonderful. It makes me feel like I'm one of the biggest winners of Heart 2 Hart Detroit so far.

I talked to Larry and Ken today on their way home from another eventful package delivery, and shared a story of my own about giving to a homeless man who seems to be waiting for me outside my coffee shop, at Einstein's Bagels in the heart of the Northwestern college campus. I've been going to this coffee shop on most morning for more than 15 years. I guess when a girl leaves family and friends back in Oak Park she needs to find a place, like her Cheers bar, where everybody knows her name.

This guy, named Daniel, started waiting for me each morning asking for money or breakfast. To be honest, seeing him as I pull up each morning to Einstein's Bagels evokes a whole range of feelings in me: I want to help him, I want to save him, I want him to be grateful to me for giving him breakfast, I want him to turn his life around, I want him to go away and not wait for me every morning. I don't want to feel guilty if I don't show up one day, or even if I do, but don't feel like helping him that day.

I'm not proud of all the reactions I have to Daniel and the homeless, but there they are.

It was good to talk to Larry and Ken about the whole jumble of feelings I have and hear their advice on options I have for giving to Daniel. For starters I'm going to put some breakfast bars in my car and hand those out when I see Daniel. That's something I can do easily and cheaply. It is also something that keeps me connected to the mission of Heart 2 Hart Detroit, and makes me feel like I am a small part of a much larger effort.

It takes a village to tackle big social issues like homelessness. Not one, or two, or a thousand people, or even a big organization like the Pistons, can do it alone. I'm gonna work on my little corner of the village 'cuz I guess you can take the little girl out of Oak Park, but you can't take the Oak Park out of the little, grown up girl.

How about you. What has Heart 2 Hart Detroit, and the generous contribution by the Detroit Piston's, inspired you to do? Reach out to Heart 2 Hart Detroit via their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heart-2-Hart-Detroit/330932173667031  Talk with  Larry and Ken  about your ideas to help, I promise it will be an uplifting conversation for you both.


Lori Yetta Oleinick Dube

No comments:

Post a Comment